Using past methods, physicians were only able to observe the first 1 to 2 feet of your small intestine, while the remaining 15 feet was not accessible. As hailed on ABC’s 20/20 and on the front page of The Wall Street Journal, the revolutionary M2A™ capsule made by Given Imaging, Inc is a pill-sized, easily-swallowed camera which travels effortlessly through your entire small intestinal tract. During the voyage, the camera captures approximately 55,000 pictures of your small intestinal lining and transmits the pictures to a small receiver on your belt.
The single-use capsule passes naturally and harmlessly out of your body within several days.
The capsule endoscope is superior to all other diagnostic techniques for the evaluation of:
- internal bleeding of unknown cause
- tumors of the small intestine
- chronic diarrhea
- Crohn’s disease involving the small intestine
Consistent with our commitment to being on the forefront of medical care, the physicians at Gastroenterology Associates of North Jersey can more quickly and expertly address your condition and keep you healthy.
Capsule Endoscopy Preparation
If you have specific questions about the preparation your doctor prescribed, please call our office.
- Please inform this office in advance if you have congestive heart failure, kidney failure, chronic constipation, or have had an inadequate bowel preparation for a previous colonoscopy.
- In preparation for applying the adhesive sensors, male patients should shave their abdomen 6 inches above and below the navel.
- Limit yourself to a clear liquid diet according to your doctor’s instructions. Clear liquids include black coffee (no milk or cream), tea, soft drinks, strained fruit juices (no pulp), water, clear juice, bouillon/broths, popsicles, and Jell-O. Consume no liquids that are red or blue. Do not drink alcohol.
- Patients should dress in two-piece attire, please no dresses, jumpers or overalls.
- When starting this preparation, you will need to be close to a bathroom. You will have progressively looser bowel movements over the next several hours. Individual responses to laxatives vary. Do not be concerned if you do not have a bowel movement immediately.
- If you experience nausea, bloating or vomiting, you may increase the time interval between eight ounce glasses.